Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Im confused. Again

So while I agree whole heartedly about the benefits to crate training a puppy, I'm still not sure I understand what crate training is, exactly.

For example. Am I supposed to tell her go to bed or go to our room or something along those lines when I put her in her crate?

When she flops mid step onto the floor, asleep, am I supposed to pick her up and put her in her crate?

So far we have been putting her in her crate when we go to bed or when we leave the house, but am I supposed to put her into the crate during the day?

This morning she was .. well.. annoying me, with her barking and jumping and general rowdiness, so we played fetch* for a while and I took her potty and then popped her into her crate. She whined once, then laid down and fell asleep.

Am I supposed to put her in the crate like this during the day? Is there a schedule to follow or is it all a play it by ear kind of thing? And how long should I leave her in the crate? Till she wakes up? She has to pee RIGHT after she wakes up so I have to take her out, and it doesn't seem right to put her back in the crate!

Last night was the best night so far with her. She whined for less than five minutes and was asleep at three when the alarm went off so I could take her out to potty. When I returned her to her bed she didn't whine at all, just curled up with her cow and went back to sleep, AND her crate was dry this morning, which is another first!

* she actually plays fetch! We throw a to and she immediately brings it back and drops it about 90% of the time when we grab it and say drop it!!

No comments: