Monday, November 17, 2008

How to : Closet Knobs

Four years ago when we moved into this house we had these knobs on the closes (Except in a browny bronze color). I very much disliked the door hardware and as soon as possible I went hunting for new hardware to change too.

You can only imagine how happy I was to find these: Not just becuase they look a damn sight better than the old ones, but becuase they EXACTLY matched the cabinet pulls!

So the question - or How To - if you will, is : Why are the knobs so loose? Ive checked the back and they are threaded in properly and the thread is not worn, yet at least once a month we have to go around and tighten the knobs.

It gets very annoying as the doors are bi-fold (I think that's what they are called) and it is hard to get your arms in there to do the tightening. I have thought about putting something - glue maybe into the threads and sealing them that way, but then we would find it VERY difficult to change the knobs in the future. (you would be surprised at how much a simple hardware change will update a kitchen)

So what can I do? Is there anything to be done, or do we just have to pull up our big girl panties and deal with the monthly tightening of knobs?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the knobs loosen just from everyday use.

Have you tried putting a rubber washer on there, like maybe just under the head of the screw? Just a thought off the top of my head.

phinz