Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Two things :

1. I woke up at 9:35 this morning. Awake. Refreshed. Had no desire whatsoever to go back to bed. This is unheard of, especially considering I had a nasty horrid sleep. I woke up a few times too hot to push the blankets off, and a few times too cold to struggle to get them back on. The dog has a habit of laying on the blankets effectively stealing them. I also woke up at 5Am - ready to start the day. I went back to bed, obviously, but I had a hard time falling back asleep. I was WIDE AWAKE.

I wonder if its that whole exercise thing? They say that when you exercises you get more energy? And I have been doing my Wii Fit almost every day. I missed the first two days after we got it due to family outings, and I missed Sunday die to the Birthday Party/Coffee/Wasp stinging escapades.

2. Dog shock collars are horribly cruel. My dad and his wife put one of those invisible fences around their yard to contain Joey, a tiny 9 pound puppy. How they work is, the line is buried around the perimeter and when Joey has his special collar - I will tell you more about that in a minute - the collar will beep if he gets too close to the fence. if he ignores the beep, the collar will SHOCK him.

This is Joey.

Neither my dad nor his wife tested the collar to see the strength of the shock, and I thought, what a cool idea! Until my father brought out Joey's shock collar. It has two one centimeter prongs on it, and when the collar is on, the prongs make a connection on Joey's neck. Dad told me to hold the collar and go over the fence. I was expecting something along the lines of a static discharge shock.

Oh no! This, while it did not hurt, was 100 times bigger than a static shock, it was - to be frank, shocking! I held the prongs one thumb over each of them, and the shock went through my arms and my CHIN was buzzing.

Even an hour later, on the drive home, I could feel the shock in the joints of my thumbs.

My dad argued that the shock does not hurt - true, no actual pain to ME, but maybe to Joey who is 9 pounds there would be pain, how can we know for sure? He also said that the shock to him is much better than him racing into the street, being hit by a car or being attacked by a dog.

But still. The invisible fence is NOT something I would ever get for MY pet!

1 comment:

Not a Granny said...

No, I don't like those things either. He is so cute!