Friday, October 19, 2007

More Dog Talk

I was talking with Avitable via email this afternoon. Avitable has a really nice dog and I want a really nice dog, So I turned to him.

The problem with Smokey is not that she is dumb, despite the repeated tail attacks and left leg chews. The problem we have with her is aggression.

She bites. A lot, and sometimes draws blood. Sure she is a puppy now, but when she is 100 lbs, that little nip to my seven year olds cheek will be a serious medical trauma. I love my dog, but i love my kids more and in order to keep Smokey, she must be trained, and trained now when she is still small, that biting is NOT acceptable.

A large problem is that the first few days we had her, her tiny teeth and furry body was so amusing. Retards that we are, we encouraged her to chomp on us becuase she was so small she tried so hard to bite, but there was no CHOMP!

fast forward two weeks and five lbs, and she has more bite than bark!

Avitable assured me that with constant correction she will stop biting, and I hope like hell he is right. When she bites me I grab her snout and hold it shut till she whines, then tell her to sit. Unfortunately, as soon as I let go she barks, growls, lunges and snaps her jaws at me. She often goes right back to bite me. I am hoping that by shutting her mouth each time she bites and telling her no, even if we have to do it eight zillion times in a row, she will stop biting.

wont she?

No comments: