Sunday, October 21, 2007

Noise

One would think that with three little boys I am used to noise. But I'm not. In fact, my dirty little secret is I hate it!

Right now the boys are watching some sort of cartoon and if I went down to the basement and shut the door I am positive I would still be able to hear each word that the freaky cartoon people said.

And I hate it.

So now you are thinking, wait. She's the mom, why doesn't she just make them turn it down?

It's a very simple and complicated answer, it is.

See, My husband loves cartoons. I'm pretty sure he loves them more than air. Or coffee. Or his penis. Cartoons seem to be his life. Last night he stayed up until 4Am playing on Rainbow Man's Gameboy. He is laing on the couch with his eyes tightly shut, fast asleep. Unless I dare to touch the TV volume. then he is all up and "I was watching that!" and indignant.

Some days I shiver, it's almost like something icky is slithering up my spine and I just want to scream from the noise of it, I can feel the muscles in my back and neck clenching and I have to restrain myself from screaming at him. (I feel like screaming NOW!)

First of all, why does he get to stay up 'til four AND sleep during the day? If I did that, I'd never hear the end of it, AND if he is going to sleep (and don't freaking tell me you are not sleeping when 59 minutes out of an hour your eyes are shut!) then why doesn't he get the hell out of m way and go to bed to sleep?

And that isn't even the biggest problem. Since we started dating eleven years ago, he has been talking about getting home theater furniture. The ones where there are speakers all over the room and it's like being in a theater.

I have been lucky so far; the set up he wants is pretty expensive and we simply cannot afford it. But what happens when we can afford it? I honestly think I will go insane.

Every year he and every one else at his work gets their hearing checked becuase the environment they work in is super loud, and every year he brings home a little green sheet that says his hearing is fine. But I often wonder if it really is. When I have the volume down to what I consider a normal volume, he complains he cannot hear it at all. I can hear it, the kids can hear it. Hell, the neighbors could hear it if the window was open, and he cannot?

I dunno. It really, really bugs me, it's one of my biggest peeves with him. But he has been like this since the day I met him.

Sigh. Men

1 comment:

Fireflower said...

It's posts like this that make me realize how lucky I am to have my husband, who not only knows that he has a slight hearing loss but uses the closed captioning feature on the tv whenever possible and is addicted to his stereo headphones when playing video games...

I share your pain with noise levels when he's home by himself and I walk up to the front door and can hear it through the windows.